20 July 2009

Nadya Mistry

Nadya Mistry is one of the leading designers in Pakistan.Her outfits are bold, stylish, and distinctive. She designs casual, party, formal, and bridal wear. With a Bachalor in fashion design from Lisaa in Paris, Nadya has what it takes to bring a unique fusion of eastern and western styles and trends.

1. Let’s start with getting to know you as a person…what would you like to tell our readers about your family, where you grew up, schooling, etc.

I’m a complete Karachiite! I did my O’levels from Mama Parsi and A’s from Karachi Grammar. I live with my parents, my brother and my doggie!

2. When did you start your fashion design career and what was your biggest inspiration to enter this field?

After completing my B.A. in Fashion designing from L.I.S.A.A., Paris, I did two internships. One was at Cerruti 1881, Paris and the other at Mary McFadden in New York. Then I came back to Karachi and started my business. I really didn’t need an inspiration. This is what I was born to do. All I needed was support and that came in abundance from my family!

3. Do you specialize in a particular line of clothing?

We do everything from Eastern Wear to Western; casuals, party, formals, wedding wear, both womenswear and menswear. Apart from that we also make handloom fabric.

4. Where can people buy your clothes? Do you have your own retail outlet?

From my boutique at Park Towers, Karachi. They can also place orders online by emailing us the requirements.

5. One of the things we see in ready-to-wear Pakistani fashion is that there is more attention to the embellishment and embroidery, but not as much to the cut, style, and stitching. As a designer, what do you think needs to be done about this?

It is true that we should not completely succumb to the lure of embellishment in RTW, but a touch here and there is acceptable. This is exactly why fashion schooling is important. Those designers who have missed out on it normally lose focus.

6. How would you describe the latest casual wear trends in Pakistan? What would be considered chic in a casual setting?

For casual wear, usually western trends apply. Hence jeans are big. But with a twist, an element of style: either a touch of embroidery, or a foil print, rolled up or Capri-length.

7. What about formal wear? What kind of a dress do you think would be considered “really in!” at a wedding or a formal occasion?

I feel at a wedding ‘standing out’ is more important. Since there’s a sea of people around, you must wear something that makes a statement. Bright, festive colors always look good.

8. What kind of colors do you see taking centre-stage in the upcoming winter/party season in Pakistan?

Gold, glitter, glam! Lots of gold! Gold is the new black. We will also see more white than usual.

9. Where do you see Pakistan’s fashion industry headed – are we getting closer to the international aplomb and recognition that India has achieved? Why or why not?

Well comparatively we are in a nascent stage but we have the right ingredients to get there. As a nation we need to be more open and accepting for any kind of art to flourish. Also designers need to work with a nationalistic approach rather than individualistic.

10. What advice would you give to young professionals interested in pursuing a fashion design career?

There’s no replacement for good fashion education. Stay motivated and strong. Let not people with hidden agendas and dirty politics get you down!

No comments:

Post a Comment